Location: Remote in North America (Eastern or Central Time) or Western Europe.
Salary: Range provided is USD.
flox is dedicated to making developers more productive across every stage of the software development life cycle, bringing the superpowers of Nix to everyone. We’re seeking an experienced engineer with previous experience in systems programming and backend services to work on our CLI and web services. This is the role for you if you’re curious, ask questions, dig deep into problems and are excited to mentor, lead and learn new things. Our ideal candidate isn’t overzealous about a single technology or programming language, and understands solving user problems is the goal.
flox is a startup of approximately 20 people ranging in location from the West Coast of the US to Slovenia in Europe. The engineering team, consisting of approximately 12 people, is working on a CLI with a web console and services behind that. This role would work both on the CLI and on backend services.
- Production experience for several years with C++ or Rust or Go required.
- Experience shipping and iterating on ideas; breaking down problems into small shippable chunks, and iterate as we gather feedback and usage from our user base.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain command line interfaces using C++ to ensure high-performance and reliable software solutions.
- Build net-new services using Python, Rust, Go or C++ to handle our collaboration features.
- Proficient in SQL to design, optimize, and maintain database interactions within software applications including performance tuning.
- Proficient in using Python to both write glue-code and solve larger problems with services.
- Familiarity with OpenAPI/Swagger.
- Proficient in shell scripting, as no matter how hard you try, there’s always a shell script somewhere.
Being an awesome team member
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior engineers, fostering a collaborative and productive team environment.
- Conduct code reviews to ensure code quality, adherence to best practices, and knowledge sharing within the team.
- Work within a team to negotiate priorities and external to the team on joint initiatives.
- Feel empowered by continuous delivery practices and discipline for team and development processes.
- Break down complex tasks into manageable components and delegate work effectively to meet project deadlines.
- You can handle ambiguity by diving in to learn more, or making recommendations about ambiguous areas to others and gaining consensus on plans.
- 4+ Years of C++ or Rust or Go (or some combination of both) in a professional setting.
- Strong experience with SQL and database management systems.
- Demonstrated experience with git, shell, git, linux cli.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and communicate complex technical concepts to stakeholders from different areas of the organization.
- Ability to troubleshoot, debug, and optimize code efficiently.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Familiarity with nix - the functional package manager and language.
- Experience operating the applications you’ve written.
- A desire to understand the business.
- Experience with developer tools.
- A willingness to Karaoke.
On-Call: This job may include on-call duties to support customers.
Travel: It is encouraged to travel about 2 weeks a year to collaborate with the team in person.