Mozilla seeks an experienced Fundraising Operations Manager to ensure its fundraising infrastructure is high-functioning and optimized to support fundraising growth. This important new role will help shape Mozilla’s fundraising strategies and the technology products it needs to fuel its development. You’ll also deliver insightful performance reporting, best-in-class donor relations, and oversee essential fundraising systems.
The Fundraising Operations Manager reports to the Digital Fundraising Lead and manages two full-time Donor Care Specialists. By supporting data-informed fundraising strategies that generate $10M+ annually, this person will deliver excellent donor care for 300K+ donors worldwide.
Succeeding in this role will require strong people management skills and an analytical mentality to lead the infrastructure's ongoing development, enabling the continued growth of Mozilla’s fundraising.
What you’ll do
Provide operational fundraising leadership, which ensures that our donation infrastructure supports financial growth and learning:
- Oversee and continuously monitor the tools, processes, and systems for fundraising, including:
- donation processing, including data capture, payments, and receipting
- donor care that supports successful donation processing and donor retention
- stewardship activities that engage donors in our work
- reporting and analysis of performance and giving trends.
- Oversee a productive working relationship with our technology team to make technical improvements and fixes, identify gaps and opportunities and ensure shared technical priorities are met.
- Work closely with other data leaders at the Foundation on shared priorities and cultivate an environment for mutual learning.
- Model leadership that cultivates a collaborative, positive, and inclusive team culture; serves as a cooperative thought partner and sounding board.
- Ensure gift processing and donor relations policies and procedures are documented for training and transparency purposes
- Create and manage the Fundraising Operations annual budget.
- Directly supervise two full-time donor care specialists.
Manage our donation systems and platforms so that they meet our needs:
- Serve as the owner and lead contact for our payment systems (Braintree, Paypal, Stripe), monitor and flag any problems, including fraud attempts, and collaborate with our tech team and vendors around new, improved features.
- Serve as the owner and lead contact for our online donation forms, including receipting, monitoring, and flagging any problems with donation flow, collaborating with our tech team around new, improved features.
- Serve as the owner and lead for donor care services, including case reply management system, monitoring and flagging any systems problems, while collaborating with our tech team around new, improved features.
- Responsible for daily systems checks and triaging with donor care and tech teams.
- Supervise external vendor or agency relationships.
Maintain the highest quality fundraising data and integrity:
- Ensure data is accurate and complete by overseeing the collection, entry, and maintenance processes to provide trustworthy data for building trust with donors and supporting impactful fundraising campaigns and analyses.
- Confirm that fundraising data processes align with Mozilla’s lean data policy.
- Build dashboards that spot data issues early and ensure they get corrected.
- Put in place preventative measures to avoid repeating problems.
Ensure excellent care and support for our global community of donors:
- Manage two donor care specialists and their systems to ensure efficient, prompt, and accurate service that retains the donor and secures their gifts.
- Directly respond to donor care cases daily, especially on the heels of monthly campaigns.
- Oversee the receipt and acknowledgment system, including handling bounced receipts, receipt requests, updates, and prompt acknowledgment of all gifts.
- Supervise processing of donations made by check, including accurate data entry, bank deposit, and promptly mailed acknowledgment letters.
- Manage matching gift and employee-giving websites and activities.
- Ensure donors that have contributed within the last 30 days or request “do not fundraise” are blocked from regular fundraising campaigns.
- Oversee renewals of expired credit card donors.
Provide practical insights on fundraising performance through detailed reporting and analysis:
- Provide timely reports for campaign planning and management, financial forecasting and analysis, and fundraising health monitoring and analysis
- Partner with fundraising leadership to define data-informed goals and strategies to enable the growth of donated revenue
- Reconcile fundraising revenue with accounting ledgers
Ensure front-line fundraisers are supported in their work:
- Provide logistical support for small fundraising events, including managing RSVP, guest lists, and any follow-up around donations or receipts
- Support the production and delivery of regular donor communications, including monthly newsletters, blog posts, videos, and other activities
- Provide other support as needed by fundraising leadership
Who you’ll work with
- You’ll be accountable to the Digital Fundraising Lead, who guides all individual grassroots fundraising
- You’ll manage two full-time Donor Care specialists who engage with thousands of donors annually and process offline contributions
- You’ll partner with the Tech team to find the best tech products for fundraising needs and track fixes for technical problems with our fundraising systems
- You’ll work closely with our Data + CRM team to coordinate our data needs and strategies while ensuring adherence to our data policies
- You’ll oversee payment and platform vendors to ensure their optimal performance
- You’ll work closely with the Finance team around donation and check processing, reconciling, and revenue reporting
- You’ll coordinate with the Digital Fundraiser and Email Production Coordinator around donor care and list preparations for online fundraising campaigns
- You’ll coordinate with our Donor Relations Manager to ensure we find and cultivate our biggest donors
- You’ll help our Institutional Partnerships team with small funder events
What you’ll bring
- 5-7 years of non-profit fundraising operations experience, including providing excellent online donor care, managing fundraising platforms and systems, and delivering practical performance reporting
- 3+ years experience working with Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack
- 2+ years experience managing and growing staff, including managing remote staff
- Ability to build productive relationships with colleagues across all levels of the organization
- Entrepreneurial approach and experience; you’re comfortable with change and focusing on driving both short and long-term results
- Strong organizational, project management, and leadership skills with a love for detail and getting it done right
- Skilled for building effective, productive systems that support excellent donor care and fundraising growth
- Love for customer service that helps the donor feel valued and supported
- Strong interest in Mozilla’s mission to build a better, healthier internet
We are excited to see additional experience with
- Working successfully at a geographically dispersed, remote staff organization in multiple time zones
- Understanding of technology and human rights issues as well as the funding landscape
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. We aim to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €77,973 - €95,300 (mid-point: €86,637)
- UK: £46,884 - £57,302 (mid-point: £52,093)
- Canada: $89,666 - $109,591 (mid-point: $99,629)
- US: $84,308 - $103,043 (mid-point: $93,675)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £51,103 - £62,459 (mid-point: £56,781)
- Toronto: $96,749 - $118,249 (mid-point: $107,499)
- New York: $93,412 - $114,171 (mid-point: $103,791)
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.