Title: DevOps Linux Engineer
Salary Range: $60,000-$72,000
MOBIUS, a nonprofit 501(C)3 library membership organization located in Columbia, Missouri, is seeking a DevOps Linux Engineer to join our team.
We are a small group of people with a range of backgrounds and interests, but we share a core mission: We are deeply dedicated to libraries and the services they provide, and we are absolutely committed to customer success. Though we often work independently, we rely on the expertise of the entire team to ensure our libraries thrive. We work hard, but we play hard, too - and we understand that there is more to life than what happens in the office.
If you’re wondering how you might fit in - if you are self-driven and have a collaborative spirit, are passionate about your work and your interests, and are ready to take on new challenges, this is the place for you!
We offer a competitive salary; relocation assistance; an excellent benefits package including health, vision, and dental (for dependents as well); generous vacation and sick leave, life insurance, and a 401K.
Learn more about us at: https://mobiusconsortium.org/
The MOBIUS DevOps Linux Engineer works in a team environment to assist in managing all aspects of IT services including Linux servers, telephones, web servers, telecommunications, building security, disaster recovery, network storage, printers, desktop support, firewalls, and wireless networks. As a not-for-profit organization that works with libraries of nearly all sizes and types, it is critical for this position to have a high degree of skill across a broad range of technical areas, be highly adaptable, and be able to identify and implement low-cost but effective solutions. The position requires the ability to work in a close team environment in a small office serving internal and external customers at all skill levels.
● Setup, deploy, and manage Linux servers on Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services and locally within a test environment.
● Assist in the management of the Evergreen, ArchivesSpace, and Omeka virtual servers.
● Work with Kubernetes and Docker.
● Manage system imaging and deployment software.
● Provide high-level support for customers.
● Manage backup solutions for all servers and workstations.
● Solve problems using custom automation mechanisms within the Linux environment.
● Implement and manage firewall security and VPN solutions.
● Contribute any helpful coded solutions to Open Source Communities.
● Provide support and serve as an information resource related to various desktop and peripheral systems, including Windows and Mac operating systems and applications.
● Consult with the IT Team and Executive Director to determine all hardware and software needs and allocate funds for the fiscal year.
● As-needed support for local area networks including routers, switches, network storage, servers, network printers, and PCs.
Direct supervision received from the Associate Director, Open Source Initiatives, with additional supervision from the Executive Director.
● Five years’ experience in Linux systems administration
● Demonstrated ability to quickly plan and implement Linux servers for a variety of purposes, i.e. database server, web/application server, file server (FTP/SCP/NFS/CIFS/SMB)
● Working knowledge of Hyper-V
● Ability to analyze and troubleshoot all manner of technical problems
● Working knowledge of DNS records and implementation of DNS systems
● Ability to investigate, troubleshoot, and diagnose network connectivity issues on behalf of remote third parties, working with vendors and customers to identify and communicate possible causes.
● Experience with Git and Github
● Expert experience in coding and supporting HTML, CSS, and other basic syntax
● Substantial knowledge of server-side and browser scripting
● Functional knowledge of Windows Active Directory, LDAP, log analysis applications
● Technical expertise in the use of SQL compliant database platforms, web servers, and environments, esp. MySQL and Postgres
● Working knowledge of web-based solutions including data-driven websites/portals, web services, content management systems (CMS), contact relationship management (CRM), e-commerce (ECOM)
● Effective communication and interpersonal skills—sufficient to effectively elicit IT information from users, train users in technical procedures/design, and document IT-related procedures
● Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team
● Strong communication (verbal and written) skills
● Ability to work under pressure; meet inflexible deadlines; deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure
● Strong customer service skills
Additional Desirable Qualifications
● Strong understanding of network security including firewalls (iptables, ipfilter) and VPNs (OpenVPN)
● Experience planning and implementing availability monitoring tools (Zabbix)
● Experience deploying and managing issue/ticket tracking systems (Request Tracker, ZenDesk)
● Experience administering Google Apps for domains
● Experience managing call distribution systems
● Experience implementing, integrating, and contributing to Open Source Software (OSS) projects.
● Strong knowledge of Drupal
● Understanding of User Interface design principles of good usability
● Strong understanding of relevant web standards, such as those produced by the W3C
MOBIUS (mobiusconsortium.org) is a not-for-profit, 501 (C)(3) tax-exempt organization that is transforming library services with cost-effective help desk, training, technical resources, courier management, and procurement services. The MOBIUS consortium is comprised of over 76 Sierra libraries with 192 branches. Members benefit from shared services and technology expertise, and a resource-sharing network of over 30 million items. MOBIUS offers managed services for Sierra and INN-Reach, and MOSS, a complete hosting and management service for the Evergreen Open Source Integrated Library System and other open-source products. Offices are located in Columbia, Missouri and their customers and members span the states of Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina, Arkansas, Texas, and Massachusetts.
According to the Columbia Chamber of Commerce; “Columbia offers small-town friendliness with big city features and a high quality of life for people of all ages and interests. Though the city was founded on education, its location also makes it an attractive spot for businesses and travelers. Located on Interstate 70 and U.S. Highway 63, Columbia is right in the middle of the state and the nation. Just a couple hours’ drive from St. Louis and Kansas City, Columbia is Boone County’s largest population center.”
With a low cost of living, excellent schools, state-of-the-art healthcare facilities and entertainment opportunities galore, Columbia is a great place to live. Columbia is home to the University of Missouri, Columbia College and Stephens College.