We are Grafana Labs; the company behind the Grafana project. Our team is building a SaaS observability platform: Grafana Cloud, and an Enterprise offering: Grafana Enterprise, while cementing Grafana as the leading open source software for time series analytics.
Grafana Cloud is our composable observability platform that integrates metrics, logs, and traces with Grafana. It allows our customers to leverage the best open source observability software – including Prometheus, Mimir, Loki, and Tempo – without the overhead of installing, maintaining and scaling their own observability stack.
The Observability team at Grafana:
Our mission is to give users the capability to aggregate data from any source they have within their environment, opening the door to a new way of thinking about observability. We want users to be able to leverage Grafana to view their infrastructure as well as the lifecycle of their software in a composable fashion.
The Observability team is part of the Experience team in the open-source Grafana Division. We are responsible for the logging, metrics, tracing, and profiling plugins (such as Loki, Prometheus, Tempo, etc), panels, and UI components. We also contribute to other projects across the division.
As the Observability team spans US/Central to CET, we hope to find someone based between Americas Eastern timezone (EST) and Central European time (CET).
What you’ll work on:
The team collaborates on reviewing feature requests from the OSS community and our customer base, identifying high-level roadmap themes, and overall driving the direction of Observability at Grafana Labs.
As an Observability intern, you will work closely with one of our squads to learn and contribute to our OSS solution. You will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about our ways of working and best practices when contributing to OSS
- Pair up with more experienced Grafanistas to deliver new and exciting features
- Review and discuss open pull requests to gain more insight
- Gain in depth knowledge of the Grafana tool stack
- Take part in issue triage and resolution
- Collaborate with UX in designing usable and exciting solutions
- Implement your features with support from your colleagues
- Engage with the Grafana community and get feedback on your features
This role would be a good fit for you if:
- You are comfortable working in a remote-first company; communication is key. For us, working together means being collaborative, friendly, kind, and respectful. We value autonomy and enabling decisions over committees and red tape.
- You have interests in full-stack development and working in DevOps environments. We are a distributed team, working remotely on a product that will be used by engineers all over the world – the ability to ask for help, do your research, and experiment with code is crucial.
- You are eager to learn and grow. There is a lot of room for growth and development, and the team has quite a lot of knowledge to share with those who are willing to learn.
- You enjoy being part of the community. Community is part of our core, and interacting with the community is a day-to-day thing for us. At the same time, you know how to recognize ideas and solutions that bring the biggest value to them and have the biggest impact on their experience.
- You can communicate design decisions clearly in written and spoken English.
- You enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technological solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows.
- You approach development holistically. The team owns the full life cycle of our code; from writing design docs, to looking at community feedback, and automated testing. We appreciate engineers who enjoy looking at the big picture, and also notice the details of the brush strokes.
At Grafana Labs we value diverse perspectives; it's one of our core values. Listed above are qualities we value but it is not an exhaustive list, you don’t need to check all the boxes. We welcome individuals of various backgrounds and believe that this diverse mindset makes us stronger.
- We work with React as our framework, Typescript, Redux, and RxJS
- We use Storybook to communicate internally and externally (e.g plugin developers can see what the component library looks like and offers)
- We use Golang for code that needs to live on the backend
- Application review
- Recruiter introductory call
- Manager interview
- Coding interview (after take-home test)
What do we offer?
- Work on a motivated, highly engaged remote team that’s supportive and open to constructive feedback.
- Projects that give you the feeling of making an impact both on our community and your colleagues.
- An onboarding plan, time for learning, and an assigned buddy that will provide support and guidance for the duration of your internship.
Internship Program Information:
- Ability to work full-time for 12 weeks starting in May or June 2023.
- You are currently an enrolled student attending a college or university with an expected graduation date in 2024.
- This will be a paid internship.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.