The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
GitLab is looking for motivated engineers to help grow our test automation efforts across the entire GitLab platform. This is a key software development position with a new and growing team, so your efforts will have a noticeable impact to both the company and product. We are excited to find candidates who have a passion for high quality software, enjoy collaborating with other teams, and are methodical problem solvers.
- Expand our existing test automation framework and test coverage.
- Develop new tests and tools for our GitLab.com frontend, backend APIs and services, and low-level systems like geo replication, CI/CD, and load balancing.
- Work with the product team and other development teams to understand how new features should be tested, and then engage them in contributing automated tests.
- Work with engineers to define and implement mechanisms to inject testing earlier into the software development process.
- Identify and drive the adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability, and maintainability. You should know about clean code and the test pyramid, and champion these concepts.
- Analyze complex software systems and collaborate with others to improve the overall design, testability and quality.
- Strive for the fastest feedback possible. Test parallelization should be a top priority. You see distributed systems as a core challenge of good test automation infrastructure.
- Configure automated tests to execute reliably and efficiently in CI/CD environments.
- Track and communicate test results in a timely, effective, and automated manner.
- Strong experience developing in Ruby with prior experience using JSON
- Strong experience using Git
- Experience with Debian and RHEL based systems
- Experience using test automation tools like Capybara, Watir, Selenium
- Relevant work experience in software development and/or test automation
- Experience working with Docker containers
- Experience with AWS, Ansible and Kubernetes
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems (e.g., Jenkins, Travis, GitLab)
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Want to learn more about the technical nature of Quality Engineering at GitLab?
Here are two tools built by our team:
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. As a result an interview can be canceled at any time even if the interviews are very close (e.g. a few hours apart).
To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Candidates will be invited to complete a technical assessment from our Recruiting team.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Recruiting team.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute first interview with the Hiring Manager.
- Next, candidates will then be invited to schedule a 1 hour technical interview with a Senior Test Automation Engineer.
- Next, candidates will then be invited to schedule a 1 hour peer interview with two Engineers in the Quality department.
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with the Head of Quality.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please view the compensation range for this role at the bottom of the position description.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.