Who are we?
Percona is an industry leader in providing elite services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
What’s the job?
Percona Support is a global, elite team of engineers who love getting to the bottom of weird and interesting database behavior. We understand our customers’ business needs and the nuances of their technical environments. This allows us to help our customers see the big picture and identify opportunities to improve their overall database infrastructures.
This is not an entry-level role where you’ll just be triaging the boring and monotonous. We are not a call-center operation, we are a team of senior IT folks with a collective knowledge that solves problems for Inc 50. companies and works with some of the largest MySQL deployments in the world.
You’ll be teaming with some of the most well known database ninjas in the industry who are even better teammates, friends and mentors. This is a mid-level position, where senior personnel will be assisting you to improve and develop your own skills and become more proficient with databases than you can possibly imagine.
This is a 100% remote role, so you can be located anywhere in the world. All you need is a decent, stable internet connection.
What does it take to be a Percona Super Hero?
- Good hands-on knowledge of both MySQL and InnoDB
- Be a skilled with some of the MySQL ecosystem of tools and technologies
- Knowledgeable about performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning
- Know-how of backup solutions such as Xtrabackup, mydumper, etc, and also of Point-in-Time-Recovery
- Some experience with high availability solutions (replication, routers, proxies, etc)
- Exposure and practice with zero-downtime procedures
- Good understanding of monitoring requirements
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues
- Self-taught and enthused to grow your skill set with new technologies as the industry continues to evolve
- Availability to travel for the occasional team meeting, conference or customer visit
- Experience working with customers in English
What will make you stand out?
- Experience working in SLA-bound operations
- OpenSource Community contributions (could be a blog)
- Good practice with working over screen-sharing/phone
- Galera / XtraDB Cluster / ProxySQL / Orchestrator
- Cloud Services such as AWS and RDS, Azure, GCP
- Percona Monitoring & Management (PMM) and other monitoring tools
- Configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- MySQL DBA professional certifications
- Kubernetes / OpenShift / Docker
- Advanced Linux troubleshooting tools (gdb, perf, strace, bpftrace, tcpdump, etc)
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open-source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB to open-source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have colleagues in more than 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
· Enjoy the freedom to work remotely from anywhere in the world!
· With top talent sourced globally, you will enjoy an international and culturally diverse team
· Flexibility in your working hours means you can prioritize your personal life, pursue hobbies, volunteer, and stay active
· Our internal programs include groups like:
· The Percona Adventure Team: This team embarks on unforgettable journeys to breathtaking locations around the world for activities such as mountain climbing, hiking, white water rafting and more.
· Women Transforming Technology is a grassroots program committed to building a supportive community of women in technology. Their goals are to connect, empower and inspire women in all areas and levels of the organization.
· Flow days: Fridays at Percona are for focusing on finding your workflow. Meetings and distractions are limited on Fridays so you can focus on getting things done.
· FryDays: With Percona being so globally dispersed there are not many holidays that overlap for everyone. FryDays are four Fridays each year where everyone at Percona can unplug and enjoy the same 3-day weekend.
Percona is remote-only and globally dispersed – we have colleagues in more than 50 countries! We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard.
Our staff receives generous benefits including flexible work hours and paid time off, all your equipment for your remote office, funds for career development (external training, certifications, conferences) and the opportunity to participate in an equity incentive plan.
Connect with us and stay up to date on our latest news and developments by following us on LinkedIn and Twitter. We look forward to connecting with you!