Janes enables militaries, governments, and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies, and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes is on a journey to build the next generation of data analysis technology to power its business, transforming the collection, assimilation, and delivery of intelligence on a global basis. We are looking for an experienced Cloud Engineer to join our team as we continue to build the next generation of OSINT products and services.
We are building a modern AWS cloud infrastructure, with a focus on cloud native and serverless technologies. This role is key to enable the delivery of our new platforms, while ensuring we have a safe, performant and operable cloud infrastructure to build on for the future. It is an exciting time at Janes and this role is one that can add real value and have influence on how we get things done.
How you will contribute to Janes
- Design, build, and operate our cloud-based infrastructure adhering to the AWS Well-Architected Framework as appropriate.
- Maintain IaC codebase and ensure platform services are safe, performant and operable.
- Ensure we adopt an environment of continuous improvement, e.g. monitoring, security…
- Develop engineering standards and practices and ensure they are followed.
- Support development teams through mentoring in IaC and best use of AWS services.
- Interact closely with architects, development, and service teams to deliver together.
- Operate in an agile environment, balancing delivery with the need for solid foundations.
- Balance time between operations and change as required, helping where needed to achieve our goals as one team.
- In-depth AWS operating at organisation rather than service level.
- Experience building, deploying, and operating core services in a multi-account architecture with knowledge across accounts and networks, backup, logging, security services, and application and data services.
- In-depth experience with Terraform.
- Experience with cloud native, API driven, serverless architectures.
- Experience working on Containerised environments (Kubernetes/Docker).
- Good working knowledge of Configuration Management tools like Ansible.
- Windows and Linux management.
- Excellent grasp of security considerations across the cloud estate.
- Experience with disaster recovery, and incident and problem management.
- Good understanding and appreciation of agile and modern software engineering practices.
- AWS Certifications advantageous.
- Must have relatively easy access to our offices either in Manchester or Croydon in case you're needed onsite on occasions. We can offer onsite, hybrid or fully remote work as long as you're happy and able to come to either of the two locations when needed for occasional workshops, team building activities etc.
- The ability to identify opportunities for change and take ownership for that change
- Good balance of operational and change mindsets
- Team player with the ability and tolerance to work with others
- Loves technology, continues to learn and keep skills up to date
- Can demonstrate innovative, dynamic and creative approach to problem-solving
- Has attention to detail and can switch between develop and operate mindsets easily