Janes enables militaries, governments, and defence companies to make critical decisions. Our expert-driven tradecraft, developed over 120 years, combined with human-machine teaming, delivers assured open-source intelligence across military capabilities and order of battle, equipment, events, countries, companies, and markets.
Linking millions of assured data points, Janes data model creates a framework of interconnected open source defence intelligence. This allows our customers to integrate all relevant data and connections into a single intelligence environment to deliver a more complete and accurate answer. Using Janes, our customers can use their scarce resource more effectively, to get to better decisions with higher confidence, more quickly.
Janes are recruiting for a Research Analyst in the domain of aerospace defence and security based in our offices in Bangalore, India. The Research Analyst will be responsible for the collection of and classifying of global defence and security related events especially focusing on geopolitics.
Data and information sources include open sources such as research publications, industry press releases and websites, government press releases and websites as well as proactive coordination with other analysts.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE AT JANES
- You will conduct extensive open-source research in the field of aerospace and defence and security to gather open source intelligence in a structured format.
- Summarizing each event and capture necessary attributes to create structured datasets that can be fed into the analytical algorithms for machine learning.
- Tracking and monitoring approved news sites and other open sources.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts within various teams of Jane’s for consistency and currency of the events captured.
- Conduct in-depth quality check of events gathered via automation for duplication and correct classification of various attributes including geocoding.
THE IDEAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS ROLE ARE
- Proven research abilities using open-source skills and techniques in different languages with at least two years’ experience in the domain in required.
- A sound understanding of terrorism, geopolitics, serious and organized crime.
- Ability to sift through large amount of data and parse information.
- Proven record of undertaking project orientated work to strict deadlines.
- A strong data analysis-oriented mindset.
- Computer competency that includes a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint applications as well as an ability to conduct online and electronic research.
- English language skills are essential.
- Middle east and north Africa regional expertise.
- Proficiency in a foreign language like Arabic, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, French or Russian will be an added advantage.